This course is designed to teach students how to provision SQL Server databases both on premise and in SQL Azure.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Provision a Database Server.
- Upgrade SQL Server.
- Configure SQL Server.
- Manage Databases and Files (shared).
- Provision, migrate and manage databases in the cloud.
The primary audience for this course is individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases. These individuals perform database administration and maintenance as their primary area of responsibility, or work in environments where databases play a key role in their primary job.
The secondary audiences for this course are individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Some experience with database design.
- Course 20761 Querying Data with Transact-SQL.
Module 1: SQL Server Components
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- Overview of SQL Server Architecture
- SQL Server Services and Configuration Options
Module 2: Installing SQL Server
- Considerations for SQL Installing Server
- TempDB Files
- Installing SQL Server
- Automating Installation
Module 3: Upgrading SQL Server to SQL Server 2017
- Upgrade Requirements
- Upgrade SQL Server Services
- Side by Side Upgrade: Migrating SQL Server Data and Applications
Module 4: Working with Databases
- Introduction to Data Storage with SQL Server
- Managing Storage for System Databases
- Managing Storage for User Databases
- Moving and Copying Database Files
- Buffer Pool Extension
Module 5: Performing Database Maintenance
- Ensuring Database Integrity
- Maintaining Indexes
- Automating Routine Database Maintenance
Module 6: Database Storage Options
- SQL Server storage Performance
- SMB Fileshare
- SQL Server Storage in Microsoft Azure
- Stretch Databases
Module 7: Planning to Deploy SQL Server on Microsoft Azure
- SQL Server Virtual Machines in Azure
- Azure Storage
- Azure SQL Authentication
- Deploying an Azure SQL Database
Module 8: Migrating Databases to Azure SQL Database
- Database Migration Testing Tools
- Database Migration Compatibility Issues
- Migrating a SQL Server Database to Azure SQL Database
Module 9: Deploying SQL Server on a Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine
- Deploying SQL Server on an Azure VM
- The Deploy Database to a Microsoft Azure VM Wizard
Module 10: Managing databases in the Cloud
- Managing Azure SQL Database Security
- Configure Azure storage
- Azure Automation
- Course 20762 Developing SQL Databases
- Course 20764 Administering a SQL Database Infrastructure
- Course 20767 Implementing a SQL Data Warehouse
- MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration (Exam 70-765)